Megan from The Green Kiss gives us her top five tips to avoid dull and dry winter skin.
I can’t tell you how many customers I have met over the past month who have complained about their dry and flaky complexions. Even in our mild and damp winter climate here in Victoria, many of us seem to still experience this problem. It’s not a fun thing to battle against when we are trying to put our best faces forward at all of our holiday events! Dry skin can make complexions look ‘dull’ rather than glowing, and makeup applied on top will often look cakey or flakey rather than smooth. Annoying!
Here are 5 tips to help you win the battle against pesky dry winter skin:
1. Use natural skincare. Yes, I sell it and therefore wholeheartedly believe in it, but let me tell you that it has done wonders for my skin! Take a peek at the ingredients list on your skincare products and make sure none of them contain the following;
- Sodium Lauryl or Laureth Sulfate (this is what makes some cleansers foam and it can be very drying)
- Fragrance (not natural, can contain yucky chemicals, and can be a skin irritant)
- Alcohol (as a main ingredient) Alcohol is safe but is quite drying. It is ok as an ingredient closer to middle or end of an ingredients list, but not near the start!
CTM – Make sure to cleanse, use a tonique, and then moisturize.Find a thick moisturizer to use for the winter months!
2. Exfoliate – Many of us think to apply moisturizer to dry skin, but many of us forget to slough that dry skin off! Find a natural and gentle exfoliator to use. If it is gentle enough, you may be able to use it once every two-three days for the first week or two to get a head start on combatting your dry skin!
3. Drink Water – Moisturizer adds oil to the skin – water adds hydration.So drink up! What goes into your body is as important as what goes onto your body!
4. Evaluate your ‘indoor conditions’ – Forced air heaters are a main cause for dry skin. If you like to keep your house quite warm, think about investing in a humidifier for your bedroom or living room.
5. Add a night cream into your natural skincare regime – A thick night cream can really help accelerate the process of getting your glow back.Often too thick or greasy for day, nourishing natural night creams work on moisturizing your complexion at night.Your face will thank you for it in the morning!