Chocolate has long been known as ‘The food of love” or “The food of the gods” with good reason. Not only does it look good, smell good and taste good, it is good for you!
Chocolate with a high cocoa content is high in beneficial antioxidants but also mood altering chemicals which make chocolate a natural aphrodisiac.
The perfect ingredient for Valentines day!
dark chocolate (We used 70%)
eggs (66g pasteurized egg white)
fine granulated sugar
strawberries (Or raspberries to sprinkle on top)
- Chop the chocolate very finely and put it into a large bowl that will fit over a pan of simmering water.
- Mix the cocoa, coffee and vanilla with 2 tbsp cold water, and pour over the chocolate.
- Place the bowl over the gently simmering water, give it all a stir, then remove from the heat.
- Leave with the bowl of chocolate still over the water, stirring occasionally to check when melted.
- Stir the melted chocolate, it will be quite thick. Stir in 2 tbsp boiling water and the chocolate will immediately thin down and become silky smooth. Leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg whites to fairly soft peaks, then whisk in the sugar until thick and glossy.
- Beat the yogurt into the cooled chocolate. Fold about one-third of the egg whites into the chocolate mix using a large metal spoon, then very gently fold in the rest of the whites until they are evenly mixed in – being careful not to over-mix or you will lose the volume of the mousse.
- Spoon into 4 small cups or (125-150ml) ramekins and chill for a couple of hours, or overnight.